Sunday, January 11, 2015

Spinach & Onion Strata + Avocado Cookies

I should really write about something else but... well, I love food. (For what it's worth, I have been crafting/working a lot around the house, I just don't feel those types of projects are worth writing about without pictures and I'm terrible about remembering to take pictures!)

Spinach & Onion Strata
I made this for our church group this morning and it was a total hit! I prepared it last night and then just popped in the oven this morning. Easy, no-hassle - a great brunch option!

1/4 c. butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 pkg. spinach (I used Fresh Express, 5 oz)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
dash of nutmeg
1 loaf French bread, torn into pieces
6 oz. Gruyere, shredded
2 oz. Parmesan, shredded
7 eggs
1-1/2 c. milk

Melt butter in a pan and add onion. Cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes, then add spinach and cook until wilted. Arrange torn bread around a 2-1/2 quart baking dish and pour spinach mixture on top. Top with half of cheese. Scramble eggs and milk together and add in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour egg mixture over bread and vegetables and top with remaining cheese. Let chill overnight. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until set.

Avocado Cookies
Okay, these were a little different, but Samuel loved them and I ate a few myself. They've got an extremely rich, creamy chocolaty flavor. Just beware of too much avocado (I won't go into details. ;-) Next time I will only serve one a day!

3/4 c. of avocado, mashed - I used about 3 small ones.
1/2 c. sugar/coconut sugar/honey
1 egg
1/2 c. dark cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
A handful of chocolate chips or chunks

Put the avocado, sugar and egg in a food processor and mix together. Add in cocoa and baking soda. Remove and stir in chocolate. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. All to cool, then store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment