Thursday, January 1, 2015

Sweet Potato Muffins/Bread

I've mentioned before that, since Pinterest came into my life, my original idea of food blogging has kind of fallen to the wayside. I really have been quite the cooking/baking junkie lately, though, so I've been thinking that perhaps I should revitalize my food blogging.

Like yesterday, I just had to bake something. Being the week after Christmas, I still felt like a blimp from all the junk food I'd been cooking/baking/eating. So I decided to make something healthy-ish that I wouldn't feel awful feeding to my kid. Plus I really really am trying to incorporate more vegetables and whole foods into our diet.

I had a sweet potato, which seemed like a good base for a muffin. I found a couple of Pinterest recipes, took what I liked/had from each one, and this is what I came up with:

Sweet Potato Muffins
1 mashed sweet potato (I poked holes in it and cooked it in the microwave for 5 minutes, then peeled and mashed)
2 eggs
1/3 c. maple/agave blend
1/3 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. coconut milk
1 c. oats
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. flax seed (definitely not required, I threw it in just because.;-)
1 box raisins

I mixed all the wet ingredients together, then the dry, then poured the dry into the wet and voila! Muffin mix. I was out of cooking spray, so I melted a tablespoon of butter in the bottom of a bread pan, then poured the batter in and baked it at 350 for 45 minutes or so.

It's not the most amazing thing I've ever eaten, but it's pretty healthy, and we all had some for breakfast and were happy to have seconds. So I can't complain. I may try some banana in it next time too (I didn't have any on hand yesterday). All in all, not a bad dish!


No comments:

Post a Comment