Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sweet Summertime

Man, I have loved this summer in a way I don't think I ever have before.

Last winter was hard for me, for us as a family. And springtime was wonderful, but Samuel's exuberance paired with his inability to communicate was pretty stinking frustrating. And Eric worked all. the. time.

But this summer has been perfectly lovely. I haven't even minded the warmer-than-normal weather (for NC anyway), and have gladly spent many sweaty days at the park just because we can. Do you know how much more fun life with a toddler is when you can go outside? So. much. better! Plus, though Eric has had a really hard rotation this month, his schedule is still way better than before. And Samuel is communicating WAY better, making me enjoy this age way more!

Here's a little snapshot of what our summer days have looked like:

7 am - Wake up time!
 Eric was home until 7:15/7:30 in July, and Samuel LOVED seeing him first thing in the morning! He's back on inpatient now, so he's out the door way before little man is up. Sometimes that equates to Samuel staying in bed til 7:30 or so though, which I don't mind one bit! 

Samuel's favorite thing to do when he wakes up now is to yell, "MA MA! MA MA!" It's equal parts endearing and annoying, depending on my mood when I wake up ;-). When I go get him, he usually likes to stay in his crib and have me read him a story or sing a song before he decides to tell me "NA NA! (banana)" aka "breakfast time." 

He always gives me a big hug and (as of this week) a kiss before I put him down to go get his breakfast. Adorbs.

7:15 - Breakfast
Samuel's always been a 'nana fan and still insists on having one every morning, but lately he's only eaten about two bites of it and begged for my cereal instead. He's learning to say "please" when he wants something, so I usually give in and pour him his own little bowl. I'm a sucker like that. ;-)

7:30 - TV time
This is new (we used to only watch at naptime), but Samuel would be SO sad when Eric would leave in the morning that TV seemed to be the best way to distract him. It's kind of become a thing. We were just watching Clifford or Daniel Tiger, shows that come on in 12-15 minute increments. Most recently, though, we've discovered "Super Why," a PBS show on Netflix that's a little longer but apparently VERY addictive. He's obsessed. After breakfast he searches for the remote and yells "Why!!! Why!!" Oh my.

8:00 - Play in the house/Get dressed/Play outside
We always play awhile and end up migrating outdoors for bubbles and a short time of me attempting to catch up on facebook/email/drinking my coffee. We try to do a daily Bible verse in the morning and talk about letters/colors. I'm kind of bad at that. Oh, and we pretty much always end up watching videos of Samuel on my iPhone. He's pretty conceited like that. 

9-12 - Errands/Chores/Playdates/Walks/Park/Music class/Children's museum/Snack
We seem to somehow find something to do every morning.. ;-) Our children's museum membership has been amazing! It's a great filler for those times when we need to get out but don't have anything to do. The park is fabulous for that too. It was closed at the beginning of the summer but has recently reopened. It's sooo nice to live within walking distance!

12 - Lunch time!
We're pretty addicted to PB&J around here. Well, Samuel has PB&J and I have PB & Nutella. We also go out once a week for lunch. Those days usually mean Samuel falls asleep in the car on the way home and stays knocked out while I put him in his crib. That sweet cuddly time taking him inside is my favorite. :-)

12:30 - Wind down time - play quietly/read/maybe watch a "short" show

1 - Nap time!
For Samuel anyway. I've taken like 2 naps all summer. Between answering emails, cleaning house, sometimes showering, doing clothes, yard work, and getting dinner plans together, I usually am wishing for an extra hour of nap. :/

3 - Snack/the rest of the "short" show
One of the not-fun things about Samuel's age right now is that about 30% of the time he wakes up from his nap and FLIPS OUT. Sometimes it's not right away, but 3-5 minutes after he's up. It's weird. One day he threw a tantrum so bad I legitimately was concerned he was going to pass out/injure himself. TV's the only thing I've found so far that can snap him out of it, so, when needed, that's what I do. Whatever works, right? 

3:30 - Errands/Chores/Play time/Baking

4:30/5 - Gym!
We've seriously been at the gym almost every day this summer. Occasionally we will go in the mornings and do our other stuff in the afternoon. 5 pm seems to work really well for us, though. Samuel LOVES the gym - the elevator, the greeters, the child care. I'm so grateful! 

6/6:30 - Home to start dinner/play outside until Eric comes home (now - he was home by 5/5:30 in July!)
Although lately the mosquitoes have been SOOO bad we've had to play inside instead. Also, Samuel is obsessed with these berries outside I'm not sure he should eat so I have to watch him like a hawk and can't always cook easily. 

7 - Eric comes home & dinner
Samuel gets crazy excited when he hears Eric pull up. He screams "da da!!" until he comes in the door. It's pretty stinkin' sweet. 

7:30 - Jeopardy
Because we are nerds like that. 

8 - Brush teeth/Get Samuel to bed.
Cleaning the house.
Hanging out.
I'll post more about Eric and me another day, but suffice it to say we L-O-V-E summertime television! American Ninja Warrior on Mondays (or the Bachelor if Eric is working), America's Got Talent on Tuesday and Wednesday, reruns of Big Bang Theory/Parks and Rec on Thursday and Shark Tank on Fridays. We also like to pig out on Reese's/brownies/cookies/whatever junk is available, negating my hour spent at the gym. I swear we aren't like this any other time of the year! 

We've had some rainy and hot days this summer, but, overall, it's pretty much been amazing. I got really sad yesterday when I realized that it's more than halfway through August and fall was rapidly approaching. I'm adjusting to the idea. I found some really cute fall decorating ideas on Pinterest. And I do love running in cooler weather and things like apple pie and hot chocolate and sweaters and boots. So I'm sure I will learn to love fall too.

Since I'm too lazy to actually insert these into appropriate places in my post, here's a boatload of cute Samuel pictures all at once!




Smoothies at The Juice Shop.

Samuel learned to use the water fountain at the museum last week. We pretty much split our time there between the water fountain and the elevator now.

Samuel can get into his stroller by himself! 

His one chore.

Grocery shopping!


All boy.



Swim lessons at the Y.




No comments:

Post a Comment