Friday, August 29, 2014

19 Months: He Speaks

At 19 months, baby boy is finally talking, or doing something that resembles it anyway. I'm guessing he has 40-50 words right now. Not all of them are intelligible to the average listener, of course, but he likes to attempt to communicate anyway. Or maybe he just likes to hear himself talk. ;-)

He's also started putting multiple words together in the last week or so. This has worked to his advantage since I tend to give him what he wants since I'm so proud of him for saying two words together. Don't get used to it, kiddo. ;-)

I need to be better about keeping track of what he says since it makes me laugh about 20 times a day, but here are a few not-very-funny words/phrases he's saying a lot this week:

- "More, please (Pssss)!"
- "Me/My _______ (whatever is his - ball, cracker, banana, etc.)"
- "That _________ (this morning he woke up and pointed across the room and said "That ball!!")"
- "Baby!" I've also discovered this can sometimes mean "bagel" if he's feeling too lazy to make the "lll" sound.
- "Hi!" He's said "bye bye" for a long time, but "hi" is new this month.
- "Wa wa" aka waffle
- "No," "Yes," "Uh-uh," "uh-huh" and the like. He is doing much better about meaning yes and no.
- "Dee-dee" aka Teddy. He looooves his teddy.
- "Seh, Go!" - His version of "ready, set, go!"
- "Keys."
- "Door.
- "Flower."
- "Car."
- "Bike."
- "Toes/nose/eye/earring/arm/knee." We spend a lot of time going over our body parts. Oh, and I can't forget "diaper" and "wee wee." Such a boy!
- "Juice!" which he hardly ever is allowed to drink. Pretty much the only juice he gets is from Trader Joe's sample stand and he starts saying it as soon as we walk in.
- "Chair"
- "Jump!"
- "Yayyy!!"
- And, as mentioned a lot the last few weeks. "Why!!!" (Super Why on PBS).

We also spend a lot of time talking about animals and their sounds, letters (he's really into the letter "E" right now), saying "sorry" and "thank you" (he has to be prompted to say these a lot), and talking about different family members/friends. He has a few friends whose names he realllly likes to say a lot.

Samuel also still spends a TON of time babbling to himself. Like right now, he's laying in his crib talking away. And laughing. And clapping. I do wonder what is going on in that little head of his!

He's also started singing to himself the last few weeks, which is beyond adorable. The most common thing I hear sounds something like "ABCs," but who knows what he really means. He doesn't usually want to sing with me when I sing, but anytime we're in the car or he's playing alone, he's usually singing himself a little tune. So sweet. :-)

I know it'll probably drive me crazy, but I am really excited for him to start talking more. Kids say the funniest things, and I'll get to have a front row seat to his little monologues. Hopefully future months will bring many more conversations to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment