Tuesday, March 5, 2013

5 Weeks

This has definitely been the most fun week we've had so far! Little man is growing by leaps and bounds and it's SO fun to watch him develop!

As of last Thursday, Samuel is officially 1 month old. Going to his one month appointment was probably the most fun I've ever had at the doctor! As of February 27, Samuel is:

22" Long (73%)
9 lbs. 15 oz (54%)
14 1/2" head circumference (38%)

He did SO well at his appointment and didn't fuss at all (even when we had to strip him down!). :-)

Eating-wise, we finally seem to have cut out that pesky third night feeding. Granted, I'm very aware we may have a regression coming up. But, out of the last week, I think there was only one night where he ate three times. I've been bouncing back and forth between 7 and 8 feedings per day based on when he eats in the morning, but trying to get him up for the day 7:30 each morning.

Of course, if it were up to him, he'd probably be up at 5:30. As great as he's doing with eating, sleeping is still a little crazy. The nice thing is he's not screaming all the time. The not nice thing is that, if he's awake, he's in his crib just making noises (because obviously we should be awake too). So our sleep has been pretty sparse between 5/5:30 and 7:30. We'll go to check on him if he seems particularly fussy, but usually by the time we get to his room (literally 10 feet away), he's asleep again. I can't lie, I'm pretty stinkin' tired. But this too shall pass, and it's worth it to have such a cuddly little newborn. I love love love his littleness!

Little man is pretty good with napping. He usually takes a cat nap around 9:30/10, a longer 1-1 1/2 hour nap around lunch, and a good 2 hourish nap in the afternoon, and usually another short cat nap before Eric gives him his bottle before bed. Granted, nothing is particularly established yet nap-wise (we just let him sleep where-ever), but we're seeing patterns and that's good!

In other big news, Samuel has started 1) "talking" a TON, 2) tracking objects (including his parents! yay!), and 3) smiling for real.

I'm pretty sure the smiles I got this morning were actually directed at me. I might be wrong... but I'm going to let myself think that anyway!

It's SO fun to actually "play" with him a little bit!

Eric and I also went on our first date sans-baby this week. Our sweet friends the Waltons watched him for an hour or so while we went to Macaroni Grill (we would have been gone longer, but the place was EMPTY on Thursday night and we got our food RIGHT away, and, even though we lingered, we still got in and out super quickly). It was nice to dress up and feel like a couple again and not just frumpy parents. :-) Leaving him was a little harder than I expected, but, hey, it had to happen some time! I love this kid to pieces, but we have to have our own time.

The last big thing this week was that I started taking Samuel out in the stroller! I probably would have done it sooner, but I didn't know that my stroller had a "lay back" feature that allows teeny babies to use it too. I also wanted the okay from our pediatrician first.

I also started running a bit again this week (though not with the stroller -- that might be a little too much! haha).

I'm a little nervous about the next couple of weeks. I know they say kids are at their fussiest around 6-8 weeks. I'm definitely expecting some tantrums (in fact, I'm getting one right now!). Hoping the smiles will outweigh the fussiness. :-)





Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment