Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day

One day I will include some pictures in a post.

It's funny how your perspective changes.
10 Valentine's Days ago, Eric left a teddy bear and a rose and a card in my car (in the pouring rain). I thought that was pretty great.
8 Valentine's ago, he took me to dinner at a fancy restaurant and we went walking on the Boardwalk in Shreveport. That seemed pretty amazing too.
3 or 4 Valentine's ago, he had ordered flowers to be delivered to my work, but the order got messed up and we didn't get them until late that evening, so he went to Whole Foods to get me a bouquet so I'd have something. Sweet man.

Today, though, today my biggest gift was him. Here. After a month of stupid night shifts and barely seeing each other for more than 20 minutes a day, all of which he was a total zombie and I was running around like a crazy woman.
There were no flowers or teddy bears or expensive restaurants or fancy dresses or jewelry.
There was just us, hanging out, cooking an amazing dinner together (steak, baked potatoes, parmesan asparagus and molted chocolate cake. yum), eating as a family with our amazing kid.
And then, the very best present of all, we put our son down to bed together, and he helped me clean the house.
For the first time in a month+, I had help. Isn't it silly how something little like that can make you so joyful?
My house is clean. My husband is home.
And after cleaning, we were able to sit on the couch and cuddle in our warm house and laugh at silly tv shows while the cold wind whipped around outside, making the very bones of our house creak and our hearts well up with thankfulness for our home and each other.

Is it weird that this seems perfect to me? I love flowers and chocolate and cute stuffed animals and fancy food. But I love this man far far more. That's a pretty happy Valentine's if you ask me. <3>

No comments:

Post a Comment