Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Samuel Snapshot: (almost) 1.5

Our sweet boy is about to turn 18 months old next week! Crazy. Eric says we shouldn't say how many months he is anymore. He thinks it's confusing. I think most mom's are cool with months til age 2, but whatever. Here's a little about what he's doing now:

Talking: We figured Samuel has about 20 words that he says on his own right now. Granted, a few of those are animal noises, but I think that counts. ;-) He's currently obsessed with body parts, particularly noses and eyes and toes (I guess because those are the ones he can say most clearly). He's getting pretty into "mouth" and "knee" this week too. He loves to touch different parts of our faces and tell us what he's touching. It's sweet, but he has no concept of gentleness, so we have to seriously watch out or else we may end up eyeless before his toddlerhood has ended. 

Eating: Should I even bother with this section? He loves food. Period. In fact, we just came from a playgroup where he seriously begged every mom for their kids' food once his was gone. He loves going to Trader Joes and Harris Teeter with me because he knows I will give him samples when we're there. We still eat around 6 times a day. And I have to cut him off from drinking milk because he would probably have a whole gallon every day if I let him. 

He did discover watermelon the other day, and, unsurprisingly, that was a huge hit. Yay, summer!

Reading: Oh, everything! And tearing our books up too.. but only the ones with flaps/spinners etc. I bought the Nose Book (similar to the Foot Book) this month, and, as you can imagine with his current nose obsession, it was a HIT. He loves to bring it to me and say "nose! nose!" And when I'm reading it, I'll let him say "nose" when I get to it. It's precious. 

Playing: He's been loving his tunnel lately! He can open it by himself now and often drags it into us saying "Duh-bel!" (his word for tunnel). He's also learned how to climb ladders - eek! Not fun for mommy! We went to a "big" park the other day (like 12-15 foot slides big) and he totally climbed up 2 ladders to the highest part and I had to hold him while we went down the slide. I was legitimately scared. Seriously, this kid has no fear (though after burning himself on a hot slide a few weeks ago, he's much more leery of those.)

Another funny anecdote - Yesterday I went to pick him up from the Y and I caught him putting toy dinosaurs down his shirt (onesie). I guess he thought he was going to sneakily take them home with us?? 

We got a children's museum membership and he's also really been enjoying that. Sometimes he just wants to run around the whole place, but we went last week and he actually spent a pretty significant amount of time playing in their little kitchen area and "napping" with the three bears and exploring their letter section. He's still pretty ADD, but it was nice to see him concentrate more!

Sleeping: He seems to have gotten over trying to climb out of the crib/getting his legs stuck, thank goodness! Now he thinks it's fun to take the crib sheet off or hide himself/his toys underneath it. Because we obviously can't see them under there... ;-)

Baby boy has been extremely cuddly with me the last few weeks. I LOVE it. It may not last, but lately when I carry him places, he's just been hugging me and cuddling. We spent a few mornings cuddling on the couch watching tv and reading. He likes to come over and give me hugs out of the blue. It's SO endearing, and almost makes up for the terrific tantrums he throws when he's frustrated. (I could still live without those though). 

Parenting is still so hard, but I feel like it's been a little easier lately. Maybe it's because Eric's home more or just because Samuel's understanding more. I still have days where I think I'm going to lose my marbles, but all in all, 17 months has been a super fun age! I love this crazy kids more than words can say. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment