Saturday, March 26, 2011

Opinions, please...

I really like our apartment, but there are some things you just can't do when you are renting. I took a little gamble with painting our little dining area, but there's no way I am going to paint the entire living room or kitchen when I know that I am going to have to paint it back before we move again. So, that being said, I have been generally satisfied with our decorations for the time being with one exception:

The WALL. It's white. It's ugly. It's just there, sitting above my kitchen counter with one lone, sad clock ticking away. I have racked my brain and shopped all around for something to put up there, but it's all been to no avail. It's just an awkward space.

I've been thinking for awhile about putting wall decals up, but haven't been able to find any that I like. Several people I know have made their own lately, so I thought that I would try my hand at it...



This is what I've come up with so far.

It's not great, but neither is my artistic ability, so I have to be realistic. I tried a branch. And then a swirly. Can you say "utter failure?"

There's some sort of disconnect between my brain and my hands that does not permit me to draw anything other than flowers, leaves, or cute bubble letters. And I'm pretty sure my cutting skills are about the equivalent to those of a first grader.

So, honestly - thoughts? I've just got everything taped up there right now so I can move it wherever I want. And, of course, I will eventually do the other side of the clock. Is it any good, though? Does it even help at all?

Also, I did cut out a flower with the thought that maybe I could combine the two. They're a lot more trouble and there's a lot more room for error with those though. Are they worth it?

Any opinions or advice would be more than welcome. :-)

4 comments:

  1. You could either put a giant clock, mirror, or piece of artwork up there to fill the space or put some stick-ons. I know it sounds silly, but we bought some stick-ons at Target that we put up in the nursery. Given, they are polka dots and butterflies, I am sure you could find some type of decorative stick-ons. They look like part of the wall when you put them on, but they come right off without damaging any paint. Start by looking for ideas at Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshals, World Market, and other places like that. You can always get ideas from those places :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also look for a stick-on that would be a border to go up at the top, by the ceiling. I you get a wide one, the wall won't seem so huge plus it will add color and interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also check Hobby Lobby they have wonderful sayings and words. Usually, they are about $15. HobbyLobby.com I think is their website. I wouldn't go for leaves because it is seasonal. Border on top sound good too. You can put it up with non-stick tape. Then just peel it off when you move. Love ya, Becky McClain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's lovely. Make it your own just how you're doing it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete