Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Clean Eating: Cheesy Chicken Soup

So I don't have a ton of time before S wakes up from nap, but I just had to put in a quick blurb about my dinner for tonight: a clean eating version of our favorite cheesy chicken soup!

Eric's mom gave me this recipe several years ago and it is SUPER delicious! Unfortunately, it calls for Velveeta as well as a few cans of cream of chicken soup, two things I've cut out of our diet over the last year or two.

Luckily, I figured out how to improvise. Instead of Velveeta, I used a block of cream cheese and a bag of shredded cheddar & pepper jack. The cream of chicken soup got swapped for a white sauce I use in a lot of recipes - a stick of melted butter, 6 tablespoons of flour, 1/2 c. of chicken broth and 1/2 c. of milk boiled for about 5 minutes.

Toss it in the crockpot with some shredded chicken, 2 c. broth, some corn (I used frozen, not canned) and some Rotel (okay, one canned item!) and some brown rice, and you have a scrumptious dinner! I taste tested a little bit ago, and, I have to say, it's pretty darn close to the real thing!

So here's to happy, cleaner eating! Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment