Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Celebrations

We've had a lot to celebrate lately! Unfortunately, with Eric working so much, it's made it a *little* difficult to fit in some much needed party-time. We do what we can though!

July 26th was Eric's and my 5 year anniversary. That seems like kind of a big deal (along with all of the other big deals we've had going on this year). We didn't have money or time to do anything really extravagant, so we decided to go out to dinner at what is probably the nicest restaurant in town, Fabian's. We'd heard a lot about it and had it recommended to us many times, but were kind of hesitant to spend ~$150 on one dinner. But if anything made it worth it, 5 years of marriage did, right? Plus we're both a little food-obsessed. It seemed appropriate.

So on Saturday, July 27, after Eric worked a nice 12-hour day, we went and dropped Samuel off with our friend Nicole and made our way to the restaurant. It was super nice and quaint, with only about 7 tables total and one time available (turns out dinner was 3 hours long!). The chef came out and explained the night's menu -- 5 courses, the first 3 picked for us (some kind of salad that I quite liked, a mushroom risotto [mmm], and a delicious tomato soup), then our choice of 5 entrees and 3 desserts.

We enjoyed our courses amid the fun music and quiet chatter. Eric had some kind of pork with carrots and "grown up" mac and cheese (I don't really know what it was -- I was too engrossed in my own food) and I had the most amazing filet mignon. Like, seriously amazing. I remember that whatever was on the side was tasty, but I can still taste that steak when I think about it. It was probably one of the best things I've ever eaten.

My dessert consisted of a dark chocolate-bourbon creme brulee (which had a little more bourbon than I preferred, but that's okay), and Eric had a blueberry cobbler. Everything we ate was organic and fresh and delicious. I think it probably was worth pretty darn close to what we paid for it.

We were pretty stinkin' pooped by the time we made it home at 11 (we're usually in bed by 10:30!), but we really had a wonderful evening. It was nice to spend time with my love.

(btw, we took pictures with the iPhone, but they all turned out pretty crummy due to the lighting).

Eric's birthday is just a week and a half after our anniversary, so I decided to surprise him with a night out! I made arrangements with my friend Jamie to watch Samuel so I could whisk Eric away to a night of burgers and movies. I also ordered an ice cream cake since I found a good deal on Groupon.

Things didn't go quite as planned. The ice cream place was about 25 minutes away, and, when I got there, they informed me my cake wouldn't be ready for 2 more hours (their decorator got sick). I had to wait an hour, but I was not about to go home and come back with a 6 month old. Sorry, homies.

We got that fiasco straightened out, but then Eric got off work early (which I was both glad and sad about -- not so easy to surprise him when he's there!) I spilled the beans about our plans, and Eric then changed what movie we were going to go see. Then we ended up leaving late and forgetting the bottle and having to turn around and go home twice.  

But FINALLY we dropped Samuel off at the Walton's and ran to Five Guys to pick up burgers and fries which we heartily gobbled down in the car. We went to go see Pacific Rim, which was definitely as boyish a movie as you can get (think Transformer-type monsters and aliens duking it out). It was entertaining, and Eric seemed to enjoy it. Once again, we ended up coming home c. 10:30/11 pm and pretty much falling into bed. We're so old! Haha.

Then on Eric's actual birthday we went to the Loop for pizza and I gave him the third season of Scrubs (the last one he needed to complete his collection) and bought him steaks to grill the next day. And we ate ice cream cake every night for the next week.

All in all, it was a really fun couple of weeks of celebrations!

Guess we have to wait until next year to party it up again... or at least Christmas. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment