Sunday, July 14, 2013

Salud.

So the thought of vegetarianism has never appealed to me. Neither has the idea of giving up sugar (chocolate?!?), or fat, or dairy, or carbs.

 I like food. No, let me correct that, I love food. When I had Samuel, a lot of people gave me the advice, "Remember to eat!" Like I could forget. No, no, no forgetting to eat here. I definitely have a love affair with food.

Luckily, I also have a (small) obsession with health. I may eat 5-6 times a day (Don't judge -- I'm still nursing!), but I definitely don't forget to exercise either. And I can definitely tell by my energy level when my eating habits get a little too junky.

That's why I love it when people find ways to make un-healthy things that I love to eat a little less detrimental to my body. I've been googling and pinteresting (do you love that those words actually make sense to you?) healthy alternatives to things I use/make often and trying them out. In fact, one of them is in the crockpot right now (my inspiration for this post)! 

I don't think I'll ever be 100% into the Paleo thing, but I love the idea of only using a few ingredients and making sure those ingredients are natural. God made food for us. We should use it. The more I read about the effects of dyes and chemicals in foods (did you know a lot food coloring and preservatives we use here are banned in other countries?), the more I'm convinced that it's probably better to just stick with what God gave us.

Am I still going to have a pop tart every now and then? You can pretty much count on it. But I'm making strides, and hopefully we'll end up healthier for it in the long run!

So here's what I've made (am making) so far:

Zucchini Brownies - These were surprisingly good! You can tell they're not regular brownies, but I was shocked at how good they tasted for something with no flour or sugar!

Cream of Chicken Soup substitute - There is SO much salt in canned foods! I never realized how ridiculous it was until I checked it out one day and realized I would get more than half my daily salt intake from one can of soup. Yikes! I'm using this sub in my dinner tonight... Just butter, flour, milk, and chicken broth. We'll see how it goes!

Greek Yogurt Cheesecake - Okay, admittedly, this probably isn't that healthy or clean since it uses a boxed pudding mix. I also just bought a graham cracker crust instead of making the fancy one. Still, it tasted really good, and definitely had more protein and less fat than a regular cheesecake.

Baked "Fried" Chicken - This beats shake and bake by leaps and bounds! Chicken + Yogurt + Breadcrumbs + Parmesan cheese. Simple and soooo good!

I also attempted to make an avocado pasta sauce. It was NOT a winner. So we'll leave that one off. :-)

What are your favorite healthy/clean foods?



1 comment: