Sunday, September 11, 2011

Making Tortillas... Spanish Style.

As you can probably tell, I'm doing my best to catch up on blogging this weekend. 

A few weeks ago I got the hankering to make something fun and foreign, but not TOO weird. What fits the bill better than a Spanish Tortilla? It's just eggs and potatoes and oil, but totally delicious and super-fun to make. 

First of all you just chop up 2 potatoes VERY thin and cook in about 1/4 c. EVOO until tender. You may want to throw in some salt, green onions, or peppers too, depending on your taste. 

Once cooked, you have to remove the potatoes and rinse the pan out. Stir in about 6 scrambled eggs to the potato mixture. Coat the pan with oil and pour about half the mixture in. Let it sit until firm.


The tricky (and fun!) part comes next. You have to flip the tortilla like a pancake! This, I found, takes quite a bit of finesse. The first time did not go so well for me:


But, with the second tortilla, I got the bright idea to use a large plate to aid in my flipping. It turned out beautifully! 


It was stinkin' delicious and way filling too. Eric and I both give it two thumbs up!


I didn't get any pictures, but I also made Chicken Turnovers last week. The recipe I used wanted me to make my own pie crust, but who has time for that? I just used crescent rolls and it was fabulous. You can also use phyllo dough, pie crust, or anything bread-like to make these tasty delights. 

Ingredients:
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 c. butter
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
4-6 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp. garlic salt
pepper
1 can crescent rolls, biscuits, pie crust, etc. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat and stir in onion. Cook until tender. Stir in chicken, cream cheese, broth and seasonings. Cook until cream cheese is melted and mixture is just bubbling. Cut dough into individual pastry squares. Place a tablespoon or two of mixture on one corner of each square (depending on how big you want your turnovers to be!), and fold the other corner over. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dough is slightly browned. 


Last, but not least, I made a yummy Apple Crisp last night for a Sunday School potluck. Now I had a busy day yesterday, so I admittedly cheated a little bit by grabbing a can of apple pie filling from Harris Teeter. You are supposed to cut up 3-4 granny smith apples and mix them with about 1/2 c. white or brown sugar, 1 T. flour,  and a splash of lemon juice and let them sit a while to bring out that yummy apple flavor. I just added some lemon juice and maple syrup to the filling and let it go. 

The crisp, however, was the really good part that I DID home-make, taking the idea and adjusting from these two recipes: Food Network  & Betty Crocker . Here's what you need:

3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter 
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 T maple syrup
1/2 c. oats

Just mix all of the ingredients up, plop it on your apples (or store-bought pie mix) and stick it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes if the apples were pre-cooked, 35-45 if they were not. If you love fall desserts as much as I do, you definitely will NOT be disappointed!

So there's an update on recipes of late. Hopefully I will do a better job of sharing my cooking adventures (and actually having them) in the month to come!  

No comments:

Post a Comment