Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's Training Season.

So, barring any injuries between now and then, I am planning on running a half marathon on Dec. 3. There, it's official, no take-backs. Anyone who knows how much I've been running lately probably isn't super surprised by this, but it's a pretty big feat for me nonetheless.

You see, I was not a super athletic kid. I ran around a lot when I was really little, I played a couple of years of basketball in early junior high and... well, that was about it. I didn't have any regular activity in my life. I walked some in college but, after being married for a year and realizing that I had gained 10 pounds (maybe because I had an unreasonable obsession with baking that first Christmas?), I realized I really needed to do something more. So I started jogging a little too, and it just escalated from there.

Even though I don't always love running while I'm doing it, I love the fact that it makes me feel good, that it helps me clear my head, that I can finish out my day knowing that I accomplished something, and that I'm doing something that's good for my body. So here I am, almost 2 years from when I first started working out, finally to the point where I really consider myself a (still very slow) runner.  I will probably be bringing up the rear of this race, but I am pretty stoked that I think I'll be able to do it at all. After all, if I can do it, anyone can, right?

Anyway, I will try not to bore everyone too much with running stats, but I hope that between blogging a little bit about this and having my facebook page linked to my mapmyrun page (where I keep up with my miles), I can hopefully keep myself accountable enough that I will keep this up for the 10 weeks of "training" I have left (I even made myself a schedule out and everything). That means I will be running 4-5 days each week & 20-26 miles per week. Am I crazy? Maybe. But how awesome will it be to finish out 2011 doing something I never even THOUGHT about until a few months ago ? TOTALLY. :-) (not to mention I'll be able to get one of those cute 13.1 stickers to go on the back of my car!)

Fastest mile: 7:36
Fastest 2 mile: 16:39
Longest Run: 7.5 mi.
St. Leo 5K (March): 26:56
Ardmore 5K: October 8
Mistletoe 1/2: December 3

1 comment:

  1. Christie as a runner, you are definitely not slow!! Lots of people couldn't run a 7:36 mile. I'm so proud of you :-). I have a 13.1 sticker I can mail you if you want.

    ReplyDelete