Sunday, November 14, 2010

Soup's On!

A few weeks ago, Eric and I went to a fall potluck for the med school Better Halves Club - a potluck that featured two delicious Southwest Taco soups. Ever since then, I've been having serious southwestern cravings. Warm soup on a chilly fall day... you can't get much more satisfying than that!

Unfortunately, even though I'm the picky eater in the family, my sweet husband has one food group he pretty much detests, and, of course, it's a primary ingredient in Southwest Taco Soup. You guessed it, friends - Eric has a horrible aversion to beans. Pinto, Ranch Style, Lima, Baked, Boiled, or Grilled: anyway you fix them, he's just not a fan.

So my challenge to myself for this winter is to come up with a southwestern-style soup sans beans. I know, I know. This will not be easy. There will be trials and frustrations, un-tasty meals, and probably some wasted food into the bargain. But will it be worth it? I sure hope so.

We tried trial soup #1 today, and, while not a new family classic, I can honesty say I've eaten worse things (like deviled eggs... who really thought that was a good idea?). The ranch dressing mix gives it an interesting, almost herby kick, and the tomatoes with green chiles add some make-you-sweat-a-little spice. I made it by taking the beans out of a normal recipe, so if you are actually a fan of beans, I'd say give it a try!

Southwest Taco Soup
Our Rating: 6.5/10

1-2 lbs. ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1-1/2 c. water
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
2 cans tomatoes & green chiles
1 package ranch salad dressing mix
(1 can mild chili beans)
(1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained)

Cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and add taco seasoning. Add remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with cheese and sour cream.


Hopefully my next attempt will prove more successful.

This week I'm trying Martinated Baked Pork Chops. (I know you're so anticipating my next riveting post, am I right?) Be sure to stop by and see how that turns out. :-) Have a wonderful week!



No comments:

Post a Comment