Sunday, November 21, 2010

... It bursts into Thanksgiving

Oh, Autumn.

I guess when most people think of vacations, they think of sunny beaches and warm sand in the summertime. They think of tanned skin and fruity drinks and lazy days.

But not my family.

Don't get me wrong... we went to the beach when we visited our family in south Texas, and I probably spent more time in the sand than most of my other far-inland friends. But "vacations" - vacations were spent going somewhere pretty, somewhere with color, cool breezes and chilly nights; and nine times out of ten that meant North Carolina & Tennessee in the fall.

So, having been exposed to the beauty that is a North Carolina autumn as a child, I, of course, was quite elated when we were able to move here last year. After many seasons of south Arkansas' overnight change from green leaves to bare trees, the fact that God paints this colorful scenery each year sparks the deepest awe in me. I know it's a dorky thing to say, but it feels a little magical. Just walking outside makes me smile; and I like that.

I think Paul Laurence Dunbar said it best:

The earth is just so full of fun
It really can't contain it;
And streams of mirth so freely run
The heavens seem to rain it...

Why, it's the climax of the year,—
The highest time of living!—
Till naturally its bursting cheer

Just melts into thanksgiving
Isn't it the perfect time for the Thanksgiving holiday? I think so.
I've been trying to make a point to take pictures of this lovely time. After all, we probably won't live here forever and I want to remember how beautiful this time of year is, and how happy it makes feel.
Last year Eric and I took an entire afternoon to snap some foliage photos. This year, I was pretty pressed for time and suddenly found that autumn had almost come and gone without my noticing. So, since I needed to exercise anyway, I went on a photo run last Saturday (yes, yes, a literal run). It's a little nerdy, I know, but I got the idea from a fitness magazine, and I have to say: I loved it! I was so distracted looking for the prettiest trees that I ran 4 miles in what seemed like no time, and I actually had something to show for it when I was done.
I'm certainly no photographer, and there's nothing special about these shots, but looking at these pictures from the last two years makes me smile. I hope it will do the same for you. :-)









"God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars."
-Martin Luther

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely breathtaking! Now do you understand WHY we always went "somewhere pretty"? The beauty of God's artistry touches my soul!!! (and makes me smile, too)

    ReplyDelete