Monday, March 2, 2015

Winter Made Me Do It - Part 3

I mentioned in my first post that Samuel had been super trying lately.

Because of course, the day it starts snowing, setting off a chain of relentless preschool cancellations and child care closings, IS the day my child would decide to:
a) learn how to climb over the baby gate
b) learn how to open the refrigerator
c) decide that napping is for losers (thankfully THAT only lasted 4 days. whew).

So, since Eric's month of nights is over (he still has 2 more weeks coming, but I'm in denial about that), and Samuel has officially made himself allowed upstairs, we converted our guest room into a full-fledged playroom.

This has simultaneously been my best and worst decision of the winter. At least 28 times a day I hear, "Upstairs, mommy!" And, after we are up there for 8.5 seconds, "Downstairs! Take TRACTOR downstairs!" Oh, don't worry, he wants tractor back upstairs within 5 minutes.

There's also no good way to block the playroom off from the cat's litter box and food, Eric's computer and other office supplies, or the bathroom. That's led to a lot of Samuel's stuffed animals "eating cat food" and "going potty (both in the toilet and the litter box)," multiple re-sets of Eric's desktop, and lots lots LOTS of time outs and various other punishments.

Le sigh.

At least he's been pretty funny.

Like when he told me that "Daddy eats cat food." Hmm. He's also been informing us that "Daddy too big!" (to play with his toys).

Or how he wants to say happy birthday to his puzzles, elmo, his books, and, of course, himself ("Now cake!") Except he just says "Happy to you!" That's pretty cute. (Really, it's for any holiday, because at Valentine's he said, "Happy to you valentines!!")

We did make it to a birthday party last week a few hours before snow storm #3. I felt kind of bad for him, because his little face lit up SO much when everyone started singing Happy Birthday, and it got SO sad when he realized it was not for him. It's tough being 2.

We've been asking Samuel who to pray for at night. Usually it's his preschool teachers. Sometimes he throws in Elmo, his playroom, trains, and baby Moses. We make it work. ;-)

Today in the car, Teddy was "praying" - for Grammy, Pappy and the BEACH!

Samuel also told me that Teddy was his best friend. And Thomas the Tank Engine. And Percy. (He finally listed some real people too. But NOT mommy and daddy. We're the mommy and daddy).

Eric asked Samuel what show he wanted to watch on TV. Samuel told him, "NOT Friends!!"

He's also taken to calling Eric whatever I call him. Lately that's been, "Baby," "Honey," and just plain "ERRRRICCC!" Haha.

Everytime he realizes there's snow on the ground, he goes, "Ooh! Snowflake time!" Never "snow." Always "snowflakes." I love it.

After the latest snow storm, we decided to build a real snowman (much larger than our previous 10-inch tall one, "Olaf.") I asked Samuel what to name him. "Olaf 2!!"

He's gotten pretty good at counting, until fourteen, that is -- then it goes "sev-uh-teen, fi-teen, TWENNNY!"

And today, driving home, he started singing. I'm pretty sure this isn't what he said, but it definitely sounded like: "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, How I want to eat you -- ARR!" Haha.

I feel like he's way funnier in person than when I write things down. Maybe it's because I've lost it from being trapped inside for 2 weeks? ;-) Whatever the case, trying as he may be, I'm REALLY glad he's around!! He makes me laugh every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment