Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Haircut #2

So I am not a big fan of haircuts. Well, actually I'm not a big fan of paying for haircuts. Haircuts themselves are great, but how much money do people spend each year just on getting a little bit of hair trimmed off? And we aren't even going to talk about how much money highlights/coloring/keratin treatments and things cost. Maybe it's just because I'm cheap (because I seriously seriously am), but haircuts are one place where I've had no qualms about cutting expenses the last few years.

I bought some clippers for $40 the year we got married and have been cutting Eric's hair myself ever since. I generally keep my hair long so I can get away with getting it cut 2-4 times a year... One of our med school friends used to cut it for me for cheap, so we've spent a grand total of about $60/year on our family's hair the last few years. My friend's family recently moved for residency, unfortunately, so I had to go somewhere new last week and pay a whopping $40+ for a trip. I will admit, though, my hair feels soooo much better.

Since I was already shelling out the big bucks for my hair, I figured I might as well go ahead and get Samuel's hair cut too. We took him to a cute kids salon called Snip-Its for his first cut back in March. It was really cute, but at $10-15 a pop, it seemed unnecessary, so I've since been trying to cut his hair myself. That's proven to be easier said than done lately, though. There's been lots of pulling the scissors away and screaming and kicking the chair while I clip. Plus I don't actually have any experience that qualifies me to cut a toddler's hair. So I finally gave in.

 I think the result was great! He was pretty upset about having someone mess with his hair and definitely pulled away from the stylist a lot. But he got to eat animal crackers the whole time and watch a movie, so that distracted him a bit. And he got to fight with someone who was not me, a fact I greatly appreciated. :-)

Seriously not a fan.



Handsome boy. :-)

I have a few more coupons left for this place, so I may end up going again before too long. I'm hoping that he will eventually get used to it and hold still enough for me to buzz his hair like I do his dad's and we can go back to being a cheap-o hair family. For now, though, I have to admit: he's pretty stinkin' cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment