Saturday, June 14, 2014

Dresser ReFurb.

There are so many things I need to do right now, but blogging seems like fun. :-) I am so grateful to be feeling sooo much better these days. The last month I've been back to having a crazy schedule (thanks to Eric's long month of night shifts and my needing to keep myself entertained) and having my brain run a million miles an hour and my to-do list be 10 pages long. I love it. I feel like I'm getting things accomplished and learning and growing and that's a very very good thing!

One of my "accomplishments" the last month has been my fabulous dresser re-do! Our bedroom furniture is a mish-mash of things that Eric inherited from his grandma, some other relatives, and one nightstand I got from Wal-Mart right after we got married. Our bedroom is gray and purple and all the furniture is some shade of brown soo... yeah. Not the most attractive, even for an eclectic look. The dresser has been bugging me for ages. After four moves and a lot of wear and tear, that poor thing looked awful. We couldn't really notice it at our old place because it was so dark in our room, but here it was BLATANTLY obvious.

(Notice the scratches on the bottom drawer. Those weren't from me!)

It took me quite a while to convince Eric to let me re-do it, and then even longer to agree on a color. I finally talked him into letting me do it black, though, and I'm SO glad I did!

It wasn't the easiest process in the world, especially during a month where I was essentially a single mom (we saw Eric approx. 20-30 minutes per day). It took me a week or so of sanding the drawers down during nap time, a day of Samuel being at preschool to sand down the body of the dresser, and another preschool day and nap time to actually stain the thing.



We also don't have a garage or any really good place to do these things, so I had to haul the thing outside and down the stairs to the driveway to sand and backyard to paint.



Because of it's age, the holes for the drawer pulls were not standard size, so I had to special order them. It was almost a full month before everything was done and put together, but I think it turned out great!





Now that the dresser is black, I'm itching to do the headboard too.... I think I may have found a new hobby. ;-)







No comments:

Post a Comment