Tuesday, October 29, 2013

When life hands you lemons...

Make lemonade.

And when you're stuck at home because your kid is running a fever for three days straight (ugh.), make Pinterest projects!

Poor Samuel got his first fever last week. It was weird, because he didn't really have any other symptoms. He's had a few little things going on for a week or two that I thought were because of teething, but then Wednesday he got a low-grade fever and Thursday it spiked up to around 102. It got better with Tylenol/Advil, but every time we let the meds wear off, it spiked back up and he got into super-grouchy-inconsolable mode. Sad.

Anyway, I tried to make some use of my time at home. I had a lot of plans this weekend, most of which got cancelled. Bummer. So instead I pulled up some pins I'd been wanting to try and went to town.

Cajun Chicken Pasta -- I've been meaning to try this recipe for a while, but finally got around to it Thursday night. It was sooo good! The recipe calls for sun-dried tomatoes, but I swapped them out for some tomato paste since sun-dried tomatoes are super-pricey. It tasted akin to something I've had a Carrabba's a few times. Definitely a keeper!

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
4 ounces pasta, cooked al dente
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons butter
1-2 cup heavy whipping cream (I used half milk and half whipping cream)
2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes (I used tomato paste)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder 
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a bowl and toss to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté chicken in butter or margarine until chicken is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat add green onion, heavy cream, tomatoes, basil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and heat through. Pour over hot linguine and toss with Parmesan cheese.


 Art Work - I made this in Word and printed it, then stuck it in a dollar store frame. I really like it and may re-do it on photo stock. Easy playroom art work!



Vanilla Candle in Coffee Beans - It does smell really good! I haven't tried burning it yet, so it hasn't been super strong, but I love the smell of coffee when I walk in the door. :-)



DIY Sensory Bag -- This was fun while it lasted. Sweet boy chewed a hole in it after about 5-10 minutes. Good thing I colored the water with Jello powder. Just what he needed, right? haha.

Project Board - This is still a work-in-progress and will probably get re-done when Eric has time to help me with it. Samuel really likes it so far though!


I definitely did a lot of lounging around too. (Notice most of these projects are not super intensive :-) 

Little man seems to be feeling better today, though, so hopefully we can get back to life as normal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment