Friday, September 20, 2013

Yumminess.

I haven't posted much about food the last year or two since Pinterest came into my life. It's pretty much a home cook's never-ending recipe book. I love love love it.

The only bad thing about Pinterest is that it makes it a little difficult to sift through which recipes are really good and which ones are just ho-hum. I have the ones I like organized a certain way, but everyone has their own method of organization (or none at all), making it difficult to know if a recipe someone posts is actually worth the time and effort. There's also the risk that the website attached to a pin will eventually become obsolete.

That being said, I figure it's worthwhile to go ahead and record for my own sake the recipes that are definite keepers. And, by posting them via blog, they have the Christie Yates stamp of approval. So you should probably try them too. :-) (Also, I may have posted about a few of these before... can't remember for sure!)

Chicken Taquitos

So I actually combined two recipes for this one. I baked these little boogers, but you could definitely fry them too.

8-10 fajita tortillas (corn or flour - just make sure they're pretty small
2-3 shredded chicken breasts
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. salsa
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/8 c. sour cream
1 c. shredded Mexican cheese
handful of chopped green onions

Clearly I do not have the ingredients down to an exact science, but you can really change things up as suits your taste.
So for the baked taquitos, I mixed up all the ingredients above except the tortillas. I poured a little bit of oil in the bottom of my baking dish. I put the tortillas between two wet paper towels in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, then filled them with the chicken mixture. I rolled them up and put them in the pan, turning each one so it got coated in a little bit of oil. Then I baked them at 425 for 15-20 mins. Easy Peezy and sooo good. We had them for lunch the next day too!

Cheesy Enchilada Casserole.

I made this for a potluck since Eric hates beans. It was a total hit. He may have to suck it up and pick the beans out sometime, because it was sooo good!

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion
2 c. salsa (or however much you have on hand... lol)
1 can black beans
1/4 c. Italian dressing
1 packet taco seasoning
1/4 tsp. cumin
6 tortillas
1 c. frozen corn
1/2 c. sour cream
2 c. shredded Mexican cheese

Cook the beef and onion. Drain and add salsa, beans, dressing, taco seasoning, cumin, corn and sour cream. Put part of the mixture in the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish. Cover with cheese and 2-3 tortillas. Repeat until all mixture is gone, finishing with a "healthy dose" of cheese. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

Deep Dish Cookie Pies. 

Eric told me, "You can make these again if you want to." Which is pretty much the highest compliment you can get in man language. Haha. It's pretty much just a chocolate chip cookie in a ramekin.

1 stick butter
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. chocolate chips.

Really you can just use your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe though. Just place the dough in the ramekin and refrigerate for an hour or freeze (I froze two and we had them the next day). :-) Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, so that the sides are brown the middle is still a little gooey. Yum.

Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches.

These were quick, easy, and pretty good. Nothing fancy, but a good weeknight meal!

3 chicken breasts
1 c. caesar dressing
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1 T. pasley
black pepper to taste

Stick it all in the crockpot until the chicken is done, then shred it up and put it on some bread or burger buns. Yummy!

Parmesan Chicken Bake

This tastes fairly similar to the above recipe. What can I say, we like cheesy chicken dishes? It's also crazy quick and easy, a great go-to meal in a hurry!

4-6 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded.
1/2 c. Greek yogurt
1/2 c. mayo
1 T. seasoning mix like Cavenders or Mrs. Dash
1 tsp. garlic powder
Panko breadcrumbs, if desired.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and pour into a baking dish. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!

Chicken Divan

1 bag Steamfresh broccoli and cauliflower mix
3-4 chicken breasts
2 T. butter
1 T. EVOO
1 clove garlic
1/4 onion, minced
1/8 c. flour
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. milk
1/4 c. white wine
8 oz. swiss cheese
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1/4 c. breadcrumbs

Season the chicken as desired, then saute on both sides until cooked through. Set aside and make the yummy sauce.

Sauce: melt butter and oil together in a skillet and added chopped garlic and onion. Once cooked through, gradually add flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add chicken broth, milk and wine and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in swiss cheese. Add salt and pepper as desired.

I usually steam the broccoli/cauliflower mix, then chop it up in the food processor and put it in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. The chicken goes on top, followed by the yummy sauce and topped with breadcrumbs and extra cheese.Spray a little oil on top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Yum!






1 comment:

  1. I have a board called Keepers so people who look at my Pinterest know I've tried and liked them and they are right there for me to find again. I have a flop board as well.

    ReplyDelete