Sunday, November 6, 2011

So Behind...

At first I kept thinking of things I needed to blog about, and I would say to myself, "I'll just sit down one weekend and blog about ALL of them." 


Now it's been so long I forgot what all of those things were. Is it pathetic that my brain can't even retain that information for a month or two now? 


My parents came to visit a few weeks ago. That was fun. We ate out a lot and went to Blowing Rock, which is a cute little town off the Blue Ridge Parkway on which one of my favorite little book series, the Mitford Series, is based. (Disclaimer: These aren't super-exciting books, just cute, relaxing books to pick up and put down when you have time. Don't rush out and buy them if you're not into that). I've actually gotten to see my family way more this year than in the previous two, so that's been nice. Now Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner, and, since we will be going to Houston and Arkansas respectively, we should get to see EVERYONE! So mark your calendars, folks. :-) 


Fall finally hit in North Carolina. It was a few weeks later than expected, but it's definitely made it's presence known! I keep meaning to go take pictures... that hasn't happened either! I cracked down and turned the heater on last weekend. It had to get down to 35 before I would break, when I couldn't feel my toes with my socks on, I figured it was time. Still, I love cold, blustery days, getting out my winter coats, and looking at pretty, multi-colored leaves. It just makes me feel cozy inside. 


I guess I haven't really posted since my last 5K either. I ran it in 25:56, my fastest time yet (though I'm pretty sure I could have gone faster... I was just afraid if I pushed myself I might get a cramp or something). I didn't win anything in my division, but it was definitely better than I was expecting to do. 


I also am only 4 short weeks away from the half marathon... Which, after a very painful *12* mile run yesterday, I am a little more nervous about. But that's why I'm "training", right? Supposedly you're only supposed to run 10 miles before attempting the 13.1, but that seems ludicrous to me (and a sure-fire way to pass out around mile 11 if I'm not careful)! So I've decided to go at least the full distance before the big day, and with only 2 really long runs left (I'm SO not attempting it right after Thanksgiving!), I will just have to suck it up.


In other exciting news, Eric is halfway (well, now more than halfway) done with 3rd year! How crazy is that? He has a pretty easy month right now, doing outpatient work for the Internal Medicine department. That means he works at Hospice, the phlebotomy clinic, dialysis center, etc., and gets to come home at 5 every day, which I love! The next two months won't be so lovely, but at least he gets Christmas break in the middle, so I'm not complaining. 


Oh, and I got several comments about my yummy pumpkin muffin recipe that I posted on facebook. For those who didn't, here's a little recap with my own modifications added in.


[Link to original recipe and a pretty pumpkin cupcake picture (because I have no photos of my own creation).]



Pumpkin Oat Muffins
1 c. flour 
1 15-oz can pumpkin pie mix
3/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. canola oil
1 egg
1 T maple syrup
1 t. vanilla
1 c. oats


Strudel Oat Topping:
1/2 c. oats
2 T. butter
1/4 c. brown sugar


Preheat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients together. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients together, then pour in dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into muffin tins and top with Strudel. Bake 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. 




Simple enough, right? And delicious! I have been having them for breakfast all week. I am also planning on trying a new pasta recipe I found on Pinterest tomorrow. We will see how that goes! 


I guess that's enough catching up for now. Until next time... :-)

Jogging is very beneficial.  It's good for your legs and your feet.  It's also very good for the ground.  It makes it feel needed.  ~Charles Schulz, Peanuts


Fastest mile: 7:32 (7:11 on the treadmill!)
Fastest 2 mile: 15:34
Longest Run: 12.07 mi.
St. Leo 5K (March): 26:56
Ardmore 5K:  25:56
Mistletoe 1/2: December 3

No comments:

Post a Comment