Saturday, October 30, 2010

We're a little too old for baby food.

Trying out new recipes is fun. It makes me get out of my comfort zone a little bit, pair ingredients differently, and try new things; and usually this results in us finding new favorite dishes we can use again and again.

This week didn't quite go that way.

For lunch Sunday we decided we would pick up a rotisserie chicken from our local grocery store (they're only $5 on Sundays!) and then just have some veggies with it. Well, of course this seemed like the perfect time to try out a recipe I found for Creamy Sweet Whipped Carrots. (I am a cooked carrot fanatic). Here's the picture the website gave:

Creamy Sweet Whipped Carrots recipe

Does it not look like a delicious pie filling?

Well, I wish I had a picture of what it really looked like. Oh wait. Here's a good one:


That's right, it looked and felt just like baby food. Now, I'm not saying the flavor wasn't good. I'm a texture person though, and there are just some food textures that should not enter your mouth unless you're under the age of 2 or there's someone under the age of 2 in your presence. So after a couple of bites - more like sips, rather - I threw in the towel. And Eric, who is not actually a fan of cooked carrots at all, just made a face and pushed his plate away. It was a bummer -- we wasted a whole bag of perfectly good carrots, and the whole thing ended up in the trash. :(

As I mentioned before, the flavor was good (if you like cooked carrots). So if you have a baby in your house and want to give it a try, or if you're just feeling adventurous, hey, have a go at it. You'll just have to ignore our sad sad rating.

Creamy Sweet Whipped Carrots
Our Rating: 2.5/10

1 lb. baby carrots
4 oz. fat free cream cheese
2 Tbsp. fat-free milk
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

(1) Place carrots in a microwavable bowl or casserole dish. Add enough water to completely cover the carrots and microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Drain.

(2) Place carrots in a food processor and add fat free cream cheese, milk, and brown sugar. Cover and process until well blended. Place in a service bowl and top with cinnamon.


After the carrot disaster, I decided to brave a new spaghetti sauce recipe on Monday night. It was tolerable (we actually ate it), but not worth even posting the recipe (I threw it away right after the meal). I'll never make it again.

Maybe I should stick to making sweets.


I guess while we're on disasters, I should throw in the pumpkin we carved last weekend. It ended up a little on the sad side as well.

It started off well enough. Eric carved the top off and pulled out all the gooey innards while I cut out a design to trace onto the pumpkin. Eric cleaned while I drew an outline. We were the perfect team, and we were both feeling pretty darn good about ourselves.

Unfortunately, neither of us has much pumpkin carving experience. Pardon the poor lighting, but this is what we were attempting to carve out:

Cute, right? Unfortunately, it was a pretty tall order for novices like ourselves. Who knew letters could be so difficult? This is what we ended up with:



It says "Boo." In case you couldn't tell. (Don't feel bad. We could barely tell either. And we made it.) "Didn't it say 'Welcome' before?" you may ask. Yes, yes it did. That is how badly we messed up. Every letter became an O.

Of course the "Boo" didn't last very long. It's really more appropriate to say that the pumpkin said "Boo", because within a few minutes, all the OOOOs caved in along with the ghost, resulting in more of a B with a big hole next to it.

So there was only one option left. I was forced to carve this out on the other side:

And that was manageable. I was even a little proud. I mean, nothing collapsed and I didn't stab myself (which is kind of a miracle in itself considering my clumsiness. Just last night I managed to hit myself in the face with the remote control. Who else does that?) So all was well. Until it rained two days later. Since Mr. Pumpkin was open on both sides... you guessed it. Water-filled, moldy pumpkin. Gross.

Oh, disasters. At least we have the pictures to commemorate. :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment